August 21, 2018 | Slip and Fall
It doesn’t take much to create a hazardous situation in a retail store. Just a small spill, frayed carpeting, a loose handrail, an icy patch on a sidewalk or even just a hose left in an inconvenient spot can create a dangerous slipping or tripping hazard.
Slip and fall accidents are embarrassing but can also cause serious injuries. In fact, these types of accidents cause one million emergency room visits each year! It’s extremely important to take action right away.
First of all, get emergency medical help by asking someone to call 911 for you. Then follow these steps, both for physical recovery and to protect your rights in the event of a negligence claim:
· Don’t leave the premises before reporting your accident to the facility manager or an employee. Complete their incident report form to give the retailer the details and so their insurance company will not be able to deny that you fell. Don’t sign the report but be sure to get a copy before leaving.
· Avoid making any statements while on the scene except to police and emergency medical support. A comment like “I’m okay” may indicate that you aren’t really injured. After your adrenaline has worn off, more symptoms may arise that will demonstrate the real extent of your injuries.
· Try to take photos of the accident scene as well as of the hazard that caused your fall. Write down witness names and their contact information. Ask the business if a video camera may have recorded your accident. These may only be kept for a limited time, so get a copy for yourself quickly.
· If you refuse emergency medical treatment at the scene, be sure to go to an urgent care center, an emergency room or your own doctor as soon as you can. Delaying medical care may make your injuries worse. Also, if you don’t seek medical attention, the insurance company for the retail business may argue that you are not seriously injured.
· Start a file of all related documentation. Include the accident report, medical bills, lab tests and medication receipts. Record missed work days, lost wages and expenses like cab fares to doctor appointments.
Most importantly, consult with an attorney experienced in slip and fall premises liability cases who will discern if you have a case, conduct an investigation and get you the compensation that you and your family deserve.
Let Us Know If You Have Been Injured in a Slip and Fall Accident
If you or a family member has been harmed by a car accident, truck accident, construction accident, slip and fall or any other type of personal injury, please contact StolzenbergCortelli, LLC Attorneys at Law immediately. Please call us for a free consultation. Attorneys Howard Stolzenberg and Terrence James Cortelli, personal injury attorneys in White Plains, Nyack and New York City, will fight to secure justice for you and your family. You can reach us at (914) 361 – 4888 or contact us via the website.