December 13, 2018 | Personal Injury
If the December holidays follow the trend of this year’s Thanksgiving weekend in terms of holiday travelers, then U.S. roads, rails and air space will experience a 5% increase over last year.
Holiday travelers are enjoying higher wages, more disposable income and stable fuel prices, according to the Automobile Club of America. The largest growth in holiday travel is by air.
Plan Carefully for Air Travel
Seasoned travelers prepare well in advance and leave ample extra time to check-in to their flight and to go through security screening. It can be frustrating, then, to be delayed by those travelers who don’t fly very often, maybe even once a year for the holidays.
Smart travelers will pack carefully and follow TSA rules for both carry-on and checked bags. Leave plenty of time to get to the airport – plan on arriving at least 2 hours before your domestic flight and 3 hours before an international flight, although checking with your airline is best. Remember that bad weather can create unavoidable delays.
Our 8 Top Tips for Safe Holiday Air Travel
Follow our travel safety tips to arrive at your destination with a minimum of stress:
· Enroll in the TSA PreCheck program, although there is a 2-3 week processing time. By agreeing to a background check and fingerprinting, and paying an $85 fee that is good for 5 years, you will enjoy shorter security lines.
· Plan your travel for those days that are less busy, such as Christmas Day. You’ll enjoy lighter road traffic too.
· Check in to your flight online as soon as possible.
· When packing both your carry-on bag and checked luggage, review TSA guidelines. Remember that snow globes are subject to the 3.4-ounce liquid restriction too!
· It’s best not to wrap carry-on gifts as security agents may want to inspect them. You may want to ship gifts ahead of your arrival to save on luggage space.
· Choose your air carrier carefully. Low-fare carriers may cancel the flight unexpectedly and you may be stranded as these airlines have fewer flights or partner networks to book a later flight.
· Try not to book a short layover. Even if you are able to reach the gate, your checked bags may not make the flight. Choose non-stop flights whenever possible.
· Track your flight’s status via the airport’s Twitter feed or on the airline’s app.
In summary: Prepare, arrive Promptly at the airport and be Patient so you will get through your holiday travel with ease!
Let Us Know If You Have Suffered a Serious Injury in an Accident
If you or a family member has been harmed by a car accident, truck accident, construction accident, slip and fall or any other type of personal injury, please contact StolzenbergCortelli, LLC Attorneys at Law immediately. Please call us for a free consultation. Attorneys Howard Stolzenberg and Terrence James Cortelli, personal injury attorneys in White Plains, Nyack and New York City, will fight to secure justice for you and your family. You can reach us at 800-494-0889 or contact us via the website.
Stolzenberg Cortelli LLP